Get Ready for The Twelve Days of Tank Monitoring
By Carolina Ruiz • Published December 13, 2021 • 5 minute read
Christmas and holiday songs are now blanketing the airwaves. Some are stirring up memories. Others are creating excitement for the days ahead. Well-worn melodies could also be causing people to change the station.
One song that could trigger all three reactions is “The Twelve Days of Christmas.” Putting music preferences aside, the song reminds listeners that the best gifts in life, or in business, are those that keep on giving.
On this note, distributors of petroleum and chemical products can start the new year by preparing a wish list for investments that keep on giving.
Tank Monitoring hits a growth spurt
A new report by Berg Insight, a dedicated IoT market research firm based in Sweden, has a particular technology on the fast track for growth during the next few years.
Berg Insight’s new 2021 report, The Global Remote Tank Monitoring Market, estimates that in 2020 the installed base of active remote tank monitoring (RTM) solutions was 4.8 million units worldwide.
The report predicts the install base to have a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 35.5 percent through 2025 to reach 22.2 million units globally. The North American market is the largest and has an estimated 1.6 million active units with growth projected to reach 7.1 million.
This is fast growth for any technology, but it should come as no surprise. The benefits of RTM solutions are easy to define.
Berg Insight defines RTM solutions as those with liquid level sensing, data logging and cellular or satellite data communications to a back-office application. The technology is most often used in petroleum, chemical, water and agriculture industries by suppliers and distributors with tank fleets.
Below is our summary of the most compelling benefits of RTM solutions from the Berg Insight report. We call this The Twelve Days of Tank Monitoring list:
- Location and tank level data. Access near real-time visibility and historical data from each tank and the overall tank fleet.
- Immediate alerts. Be notified of events that require immediate attention, such as low tank levels. Critical alerts are delivered to mobile devices or email to make fast decisions.
- User dashboards. Improve day-to-day decisions with instant visibility of tank status using web-based applications that provide graphical and textual presentation of data.
- Trend analysis. View the history of tank levels, daily usage rates, temperatures, location data and a summary of triggered alarms to identify patterns and refine operational strategies.
- Auto-generate orders. Use trend analysis to establish automatic re-order points for customers based on historical usage data, safety stock and replenishment lead times.
- Set custom geofences. Rules for each tank location help to control the operating area. Alarms can notify users if tanks are used afterhours or leave a predetermined area.
- Security tracking. Prevent criminal or other unwanted activity for mobile fuel tanks. If theft occurs, trace a missing tank in real time with GPS data.
- Regulatory compliance. Stay in compliance with fuel and chemical tank storage. Instant alerts can assist with environmental compliance in the event of a leakage.
- Avoid spills. Sensors constantly monitor tank levels to detect pressure build up and help prevent overfills.
- Reduce fuel costs. Schedule deliveries at the right time based on usage history and tank levels to reduce miles driven and eliminate emergency deliveries.
- Create capacity. Optimally plan deliveries based on actual need. This will free staff resources and equipment capacity to better serve existing customers and add new ones.
- Go mobile. Leverage mobile devices for enabling remote location tracking, data collection, and to give customers remote access to tank data.
A subscription bundle for tank management
SkyBitz can deliver all of the items in the Twelve Days of Tank Monitoring wish list through a single subscription.
Our SmartTank portal receives real-time sensor data from sensors connected to high-speed cellular networks or satellite. Match data and workflows to user-specific needs with configurable dashboards and reports.
SmartTank Dispatch, also from SkyBitz, is a platform that synchronizes demand with trucks, drivers, and shifts. With a few clicks, dispatchers create optimal route plans, which they can print or send directly to assigned drivers through a mobile dispatch application.
The SmartTank portal and SmartTank Dispatch platforms uniquely give distributors real-time tank visibility, automated alerts, and optimized planning to eliminate run outs and decrease costs per delivery to maximize profitability.
Distributors could have many reasons to celebrate this year and all through 2022 by deploying RTM systems that improve their operations. Contact SkyBitz today to start the new year with momentum.